Your windows and doors serve a greater purpose than simply aesthetic appeal. They are subjected to all the elements from rain and snow to harsh sunlight and high levels of humidity. All of these conditions are bound to take their toll on your home, and this is when you need to schedule for windows and doors replacement after having a realistic evaluation of the same.
Signs that you need a window replacement
Not all of your windows will need to be replaced at the same time. They might not all be facing the same direction, and this might lead to some experiencing more exposure to the elements than others. Windows that enjoy a more “sheltered” existence can last longer. This is why you need to look at each window before determining a course of action. Some common problems to look for include:
- Gaps and spaces that allow air in/out which need to be sealed on a regular basis.
- Window frames that are visibly damaged or worn and look like they could use a coat of paint might be harbouring pests or other unwelcome guests.
- If you notice even the smallest amount of mould, you can be sure that there’s more inside! Mould poses a health risk, and you should get those windows replaced sooner rather than later.
- If your windows, frames or opening/closing mechanisms are in any way broken, they should be replaced.
- Windows with a single pane of glass will offer better energy efficiency if replaced with newer varieties that offer better insulation.
- If you notice moisture or dirt accumulating between double-paned glass.
- If the window leaks when it’s raining or snowing, you will need to have it replaced urgently.
Signs that you need a door replacement
Doors, like windows, are made up of several components including the actual door and frame. In most cases, when you replace the door, you will need to replace the frame that holds it in place. A quality exterior door will last a fair amount of time. However, they will eventually need replacing, and these are the signs to look for:
- In some cases, you might be able to get away with repainting or varnishing your front door. However, you can only do this so many times until your front door has had its day, and it’s time for a new one. Pay attention to the physical appearance of your front door and, when it starts looking more like an eyesore than an attractive feature, it’s time for a change.
- Remember when your door was first installed and how it would open and close without any effort? Well, that’s how all doors should function! Over time, doors tend to warp and this leads to a less than perfect fit. Pay attention to the way the door opens and closes. If you have any trouble, you might need a new door since warping is irreversible.
- Check other parts of the door like the door jam for damage. In some cases, the door might be acceptable but the frame could be in poor shape.
- If the door doesn’t line up properly and you can feel a draft, you could need a new door.
- If you notice mould anywhere on the door or frame, it’s time to rip it all out and get a new one (just like you would do with windows).
If you are ever in doubt about your need for a window or door replacement, it’s best to call in the experts. Contact us for more information and a free quote. Have a look at our wide range of windows and doors options in our gallery!
Call (905) 303-0560 to book your free estimate today!